With this award, the Conseil des arts de Montréal (CAM), in partnership with Théâtre ESPACE GO and in collaboration with Théâtre de l’Affamée, Imago Theatre and the Femmes pour l’Équité en Théâtre (F.E.T.) movement, are addressing one of the recommendations made by the theatre community at the 2019 “Chantier féministe” event organized by ESPACE GO.
The collaborating organizations are pleased to announce the creation of an award that recognizes the outstanding work of women theatre artists to help raise their visibility.
This annual award will be presented on a three-year rotation to women in different artistic roles:
- the 2019-2020 competition is aimed at directors;
- the 2020-2021 competition is for designers;
- the 2021-2022 competition is for playwrights (for original works or artistic adaptations only).
- Salute and promote the contribution of women to the advancement of theatre arts and Montreal’s artistic vitality;
- Raise the visibility of women artists;
- Recognize the excellence of their work;
- Promote the potential and outstanding work of women theatre artists;
- Salute an artistic approach that contributes to the development of theatre practice, be it applied by a director, a designer or a playwright.
- Must be a professional artist who identifies as female and works in the theatre as a director, designed or playwright, regardless of years of experience;
- Must be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident of Canada at the time of submission;
- Must reside on the Island of Montreal;
- Must be a professional artist. 1
Details of the award
Three candidates will be selected as finalists each year and will receive substantial public exposure. One of these finalists will be chosen as winner.
The award is for twenty thousand dollars ($20,000).
The 2019-2020 call for submissions is aimed at directors.
Submission packages must be mailed electronically and must include the following:
- A duly completed submission form (available on the Conseil des arts de Montréal website [in French only]);
- The artist’s CV – maximum two pages;
- Two support letters (750 to 1,000 words each) written and signed by professional artists or cultural workers regardless of their artistic role or years of experience. These letters must give the selection committee members a good indication of how the candidate artist meets the award’s objectives and criteria;
- A letter (maximum 1,500 words) written and signed by the candidate artist, in which she describes her artistic approach;
- Support material to be determined by the artist, bearing in mind a consultation time of no more than 15 minutes. Support material may include internet links to video or audio clips, photographs, text documents, etc.
All documents in a submission package must be compressed together in a single Zip file. Accepted formats are PDF, DOC, DOCX. Links to websites or video or audio clips can be uploaded to platforms like Vimeo, YouTube, Soundcloud, etc.
All submission packages are to be sent by email only to email@example.com with “Jovette-Marchessault Award” in the subject line, before midnight on January 16.
An electronic acknowledgement will be sent as soon as your submission is received.
You will receive a reply 12 to 14 weeks following the submission deadline date.
There will be no comments from the selection committee.
Selection committee, evaluation criteria and exclusions
Submissions will be evaluated by a selection committee made up of professionals, female and male, representing the diversity of the theatre community.
The committee will take into account the award objectives (listed above) as well as the following evaluation criteria:
- Quality and originality of the artistic approach applied to one or more produced work(s);
- Impact of the artistic approach or the artistic production on the development of theatre practice.
Ineligible candidates and submissions
- Artists who do not meet the general eligibility criteria;
- Translators who have not produced an original work or an original artistic adaptation;
- Collectives and organizations, whether they are incorporated or not;
- Public and para-public organizations/agencies and municipal corporations;
- Submissions filed by a member of the principal partners’ teams or boards of directors (the Conseil des arts de Montréal and ESPACE GO);
- Submissions filed by a third party nominating a member of the principal partners’ teams or boards of directors (the Conseil des arts de Montréal and ESPACE GO);
- Incomplete submissions;
- Submissions received after the deadline.
For more information
Project Coordinator, Creative Division and Assistant to the Executive Director
Tel.: 514 845-5455, extension 223
Cultural Advisor – Theatre
Conseil des arts de Montréal
Tel.: 514 280-3793
Image: Odetka Tuduri | Photo: Télé-Québec